Tottenham eliminated from English League Cup after 5-3 penalties loss to Fulham

Tottenham lost 5-3 on penalties to Fulham after Davinson Sanchez failed to score, leading to their elimination in the second round of the English League Cup following a 1-1 draw in regular time.

Read More: Galatasaray, Young Boys qualify for Champions League group stage

Tottenham have been knocked out of the competition even before England’s top teams entered. The Premier League clubs participating in European competitions this season won’t participate in the League Cup until the third round.

This marks the first time since a defeat to lower-league Grimsby in 2005 that Tottenham have been eliminated in the second round. Micky van de Ven’s own-goal in the 19th minute put Fulham ahead, with Brazil striker Richarlison levelling in the 56th.

Read More: Messi scores on MLS debut as Inter Miami beat New York Red Bulls 2-0

During the shootout, Davinson Sanchez, the Colombia centre back who faced criticism from some Tottenham fans last season, had his penalty saved by Fulham goalkeeper Marek Rodak during his team’s third penalty. Kenny Tete converted the decisive penalty for Fulham at Craven Cottage.

As Tottenham adjusts to life without Harry Kane after his move to Bayern Munich, they are now left with only the Premier League and FA Cup to compete in this season.

Read More: Rodri scores late as Manchester City overcome Sheffield United 2-1

New manager Ange Postecoglou might face criticism for fielding a weakened lineup against Fulham. Only Richarlison and Van de Ven were retained from their 2-0 win against Bournemouth. This decision is confusing considering the League Cup serves as a great opportunity for a trophy.

Five Premier League teams managed to avoid upsets against lower-league opponents on Tuesday. Brentford secured a shootout victory of 3-0 against Newport County following a 1-1 draw, with Newport equalising in the sixth minute of stoppage time.

Read More: Nunez scores twice as Liverpool stage dramatic comeback to win 2-1 at Newcastle

Crystal Palace rallied from being down 2-0 to win 4-2 against second-tier Plymouth, with Jean-Philippe Mateta completing a 22-minute hat trick. Palace scored three goals in just five minutes from the 58th minute to take the lead.

Bournemouth overcame an early goal conceded to defeat second-tier Swansea 3-2 on the road. Luton won 3-2 at home against fourth-tier Gillingham, and Wolves achieved a dominant 5-0 victory over third-tier Blackpool.

Read More: Leipzig come from behind to beat Stuttgart 5-1 in Bundesliga

Meanwhile, Wrexham lost 4-3 on penalties to Bradford, while Salford City won 9-8 against Leeds in a shootout, making their first-ever entry into the third round.

The remaining second-round matches will take place on Wednesday, including Chelsea hosting fourth-tier AFC Wimbledon and an all-Premier League clash between Nottingham Forest and Burnley.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *